SATS Advice & Tips

SATS week starts on Monday 13th May. The tests will be spread out across the week.

There will be:

* A reading test

* A mental maths test

* Two maths papers (one with a calculator and one without)

* A test to check your understanding of spelling, punctuation and grammar

On this page is some advice to help you do your very best. SATS is important but needn’t be scary – think of it as an opportunity to show off what you’re capable of!

PARENTS – please take some time to look at the following link. It has some useful advice and resources that may be helpful to you: http://www.theschoolrun.com/countdown-sats-your-action-plan

You can also download past SATS papers for FREE from:

http://emaths.co.uk/KS2SAT.htm  &

http://www.sats-papers.co.uk/sats-papers-ks2.php

Any problems, worries or concerns then please speak to your child’s teacher. More information about SATS week will be sent home nearer the time.

In the SATs, questions which ask you to pick out facts or details can be a quick way of picking up several vital marks, so it’s important that you do them well.

Firstly, read the text really carefully, at least once. It is a fine balance between reading quickly in the time you have, but slowly enough so that you take in and understand the information. As with everything, the more you practise the better you’ll get at it!

Next, read the question a couple of times to make sure you understand exactly what it’s asking you. Lots of people lose marks by half-reading the question and doing what THEY think it says, not what’s actually on the page! This is important for all of the tests.

Remember there are lots of different reading skills – not just reading what’s on the page! Think about which ones you’re confident in and which ones you need to work on.

AF2 Use your skimming and scanning skills to home in on the information, and write it down.

AF3 Inference and deduction – think logically about what a text / author actually means.

AF4 Organisation – think about how the text is set out and why. What features does it have? What text-type is it?

AF5 Language and words – what vocabulary/phrases has the author used and why?

AF6 Impact – what was the purpose of the text? Why did the author write it in the first place? Was it meant to persuade you? Was it meant to scare you?                                                                                               Also: what did you think about the text and why? You can’t be wrong with this part – as long as you back up your opinions with evidence from the text.

AF7 Making links does the text make you think of anything else? Does it remind you of other stories? It is set somewhere you’ve been to? Is it about something that you already know a lot about?  Try to use any other knowledge that you may have.

Also remember to get plenty of detail into your answers – some questions are worth up to 3 marks! Try to answer fully and look for other examples to get full marks.

Most of your writing will be levelled by your teacher across the year and not in a test. To write well you need to be able to use these things consistently in your work:

*Sentence variety: simple, compound, complex (different sentence types – see other page)
*Connectives (ranging from ‘because’ or ‘with’ to subordinating connectives like ‘even though’ or ‘despite’)
*Organised in paragraphs with appropriate links within and between them
*Correct tense (past, present, future)
*Direct / indirect speech (“I’m going to the cinema,” said Geoff / Geoff said he’s going to the cinema)
*Exciting Vocabulary Choices (descriptive detail)

Some aspects of your writing will be looked at in the Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar test. It is important that you practise your weekly spellings regularly. We will be revising all the different spelling rules and patterns from KS2 during the Spring Term. We wi

We will also be looking at different rules for grammar each week – there are links in the home learning section for games and activities on the internet that can help you.

There are many different aspects of numeracy – you will be looking at questions about:

*Problem solvinghow you choose to solve a particular problem – what strategies will you use?

* Number – your understanding of place value, +  –  x  ÷ , fractions, decimals, %, written methods, mental methods, looking for patterns, sequences, mathematical reasoning – explaining how you know something, times table and division facts, inverse.

* Shape, Space & Measures – 2d& 3d shape, symmetry, angles, weight, length, capacity, converting units of measure, measuring accuracy, telling the time, area and perimeter

*Data Handling – Looking at different types of charts and interpreting the information on them, such as: block graphs, line graphs, pie charts, tally charts, pictograms, Venn diagrams, Carroll diagrams etc… Some questions may ask you to create a graph or chart for yourself.

There are loads of links to activities to help you with the above skills in the home learning section on the blog.

******************************************************************************************

Most of all, please speak to your teacher if you have any problems or worries – SATS are important but they are not worth getting really worried about!

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.
28 Responses
  1. Anrina says:

Tnx 4 ur help hopefully I will get luck
    In my SATs

2. lola says:

Hey awesome author
    Sick Man!!!
    Luv ya handy tips
    Need more!!!

3. Joshua says:

Thanks for putting these on Mr Holder, I found them very useful.

4. Isobel says:

Theese have been very helpful

5. Ellie W says:

Hi Mr Holder, I have downloaded some maths SATS papers but I can’t work out how you write on them without printing them out, do you know how to do it just on the computer?

• Mr Holder says:

You can’t Ellie – I would just work through them bit by bit using some paper. It’s a good idea to practise like this.

6. Oliver says:

i was worried asewell, about sats but this has made me more confident about them.

7. Ellie W says:

Thank you for putting this on, I was a little worried about SAT,S but now you have put the links and this advice on it has really helped me. I am always using the links to practise my maths and Literacy!

• Mr Holder says:

Good stuff Ellie – remember practise makes perfect. I can tell you’ve been putting a lot of effort in at home.

8. Corben says:

I think this advice is very helpful and the S.P.A.G test we did today was very good practice and I found some of my silly mistakes when we looked through it.

9. Adam says:

I think that everybody who has saw this thinks that it has helped them.

10. Adam says:

Thankyou Mr Holder this is very helpful.

11. Georgia says:

thank mr h for this.

12. Sophie says:

Thanks Mr Holder
    I have just read through them and I am definetly going to use them when I am practicing on the home learning links on the blog!

13. Govind says:

Thank you for putting these on Mr Holder. I have just read through them, it has really helped me. 🙂

14. Faye says:

Thank you Mr Holder this is really helpfull. 🙂

15. Alex sh says:

Thanks mr H that’s really helpful

16. Mitchell says:

Thanks Mr Holder for putting these on, it really helps!

• Mitchell says:

I will try my hardest with my reading, maths, English and science.

17. Ben says:

Mr Holder thanks for putting these on it really helps

18. Joseph says:

Mr Holder, would a GCSE maths book help?

• Mr Holder says:

It would definitely help with some Level 6 Maths Joe, but I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Remember GCSEs are what children do when they’re 15/16!

• Joseph says:

Ok I’ll do the ones I know.

19. Abbi says:

Thank you Mr Holder for putting these on it has helped me thank you ! 🙂

20. Faye says:

I’ve got a times table cube. Hope it will help.

• Mr Holder says:

You’re quite the blogger Faye! You’re by far the biggest commentator on here – great stuff! Maybe we should turn it into a competition? 6h v 6t? Girls v boys?

21. Dave Porter says:

Knowing your multiplication tables well is really important and something your parents can keep going over with you too.

• jake says:

Mr Porter do you have any helpful tips for me in which will help me learn my times tables much quicker.