6T’s Brilliant Best Book Bonanza!

6T have chosen 20 books from their class library to form a reading challenge for the year. Each book has been recommended by a class member – click on the photographs to see the books alongside a mini book review by the person who nominated it. You can see pretty easily who our favourite authors are!

How many get you read before the end of the year?

Use the comments box below to let everyone know which books you have read and what you thought of them.

If you have any other books that you want to add to the list then let Mr Holder know!

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.
95 Responses
  1. Grace says:

Gangsta Granny…

It is quite a long book but it hooks you in with interesting vocab. It is about a boy and his cabbage-loving granny. At first he finds his granny boring and not at all interesting but his granny adores him. As he finds out about exciting stories about his granny, he finds out she is a Gangsta Granny. As they embark on an adventure he becomes more attached to eachother.

2. Grace says:

The Magic Finger…

It’s a really good book about a girl who has weird, unusual powers in her finger. And it causes a few dilemmas…

3. Grace says:

Matilda…

Matilda is a really good book. The film is good but the book really gives it detail. It is about the intelligent girl Matilda who feels unwanted in her family. Until she finds her teacher (Miss Honey) who spots her unique talent and finds Matilda simply wonderful!

4. Grace says:

Boy..

Boy is an interesting book to read, to find out about the tales and trouble that Roald Dahl got into. Not only that, the past of his child hood.

5. mrs Homer says:

I agree with you,Gangsta Grannie is à very funny book. Wé are reading it in year 6 JD at Bearwood, it makes us laugh.

6. Joshua says:

I’ve just read The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.I think it’s quite hard to understand but it’s cleverly written especially near the end.Next i’m reading Boy tales of childhood by Roald Dahl.

7. Ellie W says:

My other book reviews are: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and James and the giant peach!

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory:

I read this book in year 4, and I completely forgot I had read it, until now when I was looking through the book s on here! I really loved this book, and enjoyed the vocab Roald Dahl uses to describe some of the characters! Some of them, it sounds like he over exaggerates! He is a brilliant author to read, so I recommend you try this book!

James and the Giant Peach:

I read this book in year 3, and again forgot about it. To start with, I had only watched the film, and thought that it was really great! But then I read the book, and realised it was so much better than in the film! I noticed that with the book, it was a lot more descriptive, and with the entertaining style of writing he Roald Dahl uses, it was even better to imagine what you thought it would be like, and not what the film saw it as! For this sake, I really hope you read this book, because I can guarantee most of you will love it!

8. Ellie W says:

Harry Potter:

I have read most of the Harry Potter books, and I really enjoyed them, but I must say, in the middle of this one, I got really bored! I really don’t know why I got bored in this one, because I really loved the rest, and while reading them, I could never put them down! I hope other people read this book, or some of the other Harry Potter books, because J.K Rowling is a really amazing author!

9. Isobel says:

I recomend you read magic finger and Harry Potter and the prisonor of azcaban they are great books

10. Joshua says:

Over the Easter holidays I finished Crocodile Tears.I think it’s a great book for anyone who likes action and stuff like James Bond.

11. Govind says:

Gangsta Granny.
    David Walliams.

Gangsta Granny is a really funny book to be read by anyone who likes to read a book they can laugh with. It is hilarious. David Walliams has made sure he will make someone laugh in every chapter. Get reading! 🙂

12. Corben says:

During the Easter holidays I have finished reading Gangsta Granny and I think it is a really good book. I would definitely recommend it to any David Walliams’ fans.

13. Joshua says:

Over the holidays I have finished Alone on a wide, wide sea.I think it’s quite sad but in the the second part it makes you want to read more and it makes you want to know whats going to happen

14. Georgia says:

i love read mr holder 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

15. grace says:

hi i read longest whale song and its so sad but i love it

16. Ella says:

Hi, I’m from campsbourne and I personally think your blog is fab!! The reviews were informative and interesting! I give your blog 5 stars!! However, some of the pictures are slightly blurry. All in All your blog is great!!
    Well done for making a GREAT blog!! 🙂

• Ellie W says:

Thank you Ella we are glad you like our blog!! Do you have a blog we could visit?

17. Govind says:

James And The Giant Peach. Roald Dahl.

James and the giant peach is for people who like reading funny books. There is lots of funny events that happen and the characters go on an incredible adventure. It is a really good book to read.

18. lucy r says:

Midnight is a great book to read because if you are stuck on how to do clauses then this book will show you because it uses them a lot. It is also quite a funny book to enjoy. Hopefully this is the book that you will read next.

19. Joshua says:

I’m going to read Alone on a Wide, Wide sea next.:)

20. Joshua says:

A few other books i’ve read are War Horse, Danny the Champion of the World and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Ascaban, which I think are all quite serious books.War Horse is very descriptive and I think also brilliant film and the champion of the World is not as funny as some other Roald Dahl books bit is still a great book to read.I have read all the Harry Potter books and know that J.K. Rowling uses a brilliant range of adjecives but is quite hard to understand at times.Overall these are great books.

21. Joshua says:

Another book I’ve read is the Beast Quest:choose your destiny.I like books where you make your own choice because you don’t know whats coming next.I think it’s very exciting a has lots of fighting.

22. Joshua says:

I have also read two other books by Roald Dahl: The magic finger and Matilda.I think they are great books and if you like Roald Dhal books I reccommend it for you.

23. Oliver says:

i have not even read one yet, im going to soon.

24. Isobel says:

Iv all ready read 11 books of them and about half of crocodile tears

• Govind says:

WOW Isobel!! I don’t think that I would be able to read that many by the end of the year!! We are over half way through and have only read about 4!

25. lucy r says:

James and the giant peach is a really, really funny book to read.
    And I really like this book very much so if you like hilarious book to read then this is the one for you 🙂

• Govind says:

Thank you for this Lucy, I will be reading this book next; it sounds good. 🙂

• Govind says:

I’ve read this book and thought it was really good. 😀

26. Govind says:

I was changing my book today and really wanted to read ‘Boy’ by Roald Dahl but someone had it!! This ALWAYS happens!! 😀

• Ellie W says:

Yes I know Govind- I really wanted to read ‘Crocodile Tears’ but someone had it !Even though you don’t get books that you want first time there is always a good one lurking in the book corner! I know that this author isn’t up here but if you want a more challenging book or books you could try Terry Pratchett and I will gladly lend you one of mine. His books are really funny and I would recommend them for anyone!

• Govind says:

I will try one of those books as soon as I read James and the Giant Peach next. 🙂

27. lucy r says:

Good luck everyone. I wonder if any one can read all of these books. 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Govind says:

I’m not sure that I can read all of them but I will probably read a few!

28. lucy r says:

The magic finger is a bit funny in some places and it is definitely weired. But that’s what i like about this book
    and if you like those kind of books then this one is right for you. 🙂 🙂

29. Joseph says:

Mr Holder can I put a book review for the Hobbit even though it’s not in the ‘ 🙂 🙂 6T’s BRILLIANT BEST BOOK BONANZA 🙂 🙂 ‘!!!

30. Adam says:

Mr Holder is the other class doing simular to this.

31. Govind says:

I am reading ‘The Longest Whale Song’ at the moment; it is quite sad so far – I hope that the mood improves! There will be a boo review coming from me soon about the book!

• Govind says:

sorry not boo, book!! 😮

• Govind says:

The Longest whale Song. Jacqueline Wilson.

The Longest Whale song is quite a sad story about Ella, the main character’s, mum. She has fallen into a deep coma and Ella and her stepdad, jack, are trying their best to wake her up. Will she ever be awake again?

32. Adam says:

I want to read shadow fores it is aspost to be amazing so once I have red gangsta granny I will read it if anyone has not got it then.

• Ellie W says:

Are you enjoying Gangsta Granny Adam? I read this book and I absolutely loved it, I thought the most funniest part was when she used the bed sheets to escape from the hospital;)!

33. Govind says:

Double Act
    Jacqueline Wilson.

Double Act is a funny book about twins who look identical but their personalities aren’t : one is loud while the other is shy and quiet. Find out what their adventure is in this great and entertaining book!

34. Govind says:

Midnight book review.

Midnight Jacqueline Wilson.
    Midnight is a book for people who don’t mind reading it all in one go! I say this because once you start reading it, you can’t stop – literally! If you’re wondering why it grips you then I will tell you : there’s is always a mystery that you need to know the answer to ; it happens in almost every chapter, I’m not joking! So I hope you are up for an exciting adventure of a book!

35. Oliver says:

I want to read war horse i’ve seen the film and i thought it was good i wonder if the books better.

• Adam says:

Same here some people say it is the worst book ever; others say that it is amzing so i do not know what to believe.

36. Faye says:

I love Charlie and the Chocolate factory and War Horse (I had the War horse film for christmas) I must not forget tha JLS annual 2013… 😀

37. Alex sh says:

I love gangsta granny so much that I gave it to my nan. She just laughed

• Mitchell says:

I’ve read The Million dollar boy and I was laughing so much, and thats in the same series, so you may want to read that one!

• Adam says:

I am reading gangsta at the moment i have got far into the book and so far I think that it is amazing.

• Govind says:

I really want to read Gangsta Granny but whenever I need to swap a book, someone has it!!

38. lucy r says:

Charlie and the great glass elevator is a good book because it is very funny and I think monster people will enjoy this book very much.

• Mr Holder says:

Lucy you haven’t checked this comment before sending it to me! Remember I’m not going to approve comments with silly mistakes in them. Please take care with your comments.

• lucy r says:

Sorry Mr Holder I ment most people will enjoy this book very much.

39. lucy r says:

I’ve already red some of the books on there:D

40. Joseph says:

Hitch hickers guide to the galaxy is an extrodinary book that is extreamly funny and a good read. I reccomd it to people who are good at reading!

41. Joseph says:

Charlie and the choclate is an amazing book which i would reccomend for any one!

42. Joshua says:

I have just finished reading Shadow Forest .I think it’s exciting and spooky.Because whoever goes into the forest never returns…

43. Faye says:

Hi, I think Shadow Forest is the best book ever. We are reading it in 6H. One minute it’s scary the next minute it’s sad. I hope the rest of 6T like it. 🙂

44. Alex H says:

Alone on a wide wide sea is the ideal book for peaple who enjoy boats or like swimming because; guess what, its in a sea! Its about a boy and his friend who have to travel on a big cargo ship away from there homes.

• Mr Holder says:

Hi Alex – well done for submitting a book review for your classmates. Look carefully at your writing ; there are a few spelling mistakes. Can you spot any?

45. Sophie says:

Matilda By Roald Dahl
    Roald Dahl has made a funny and sad story because some bit’s are funny but other bit’s are sad.
    I really do reccomend this book you will love it.
    It’s definetly one of my favourite books.

46. Sophie says:

The Longest Whale Song By Jaqueline Wilson
    Jaqueline Wilson has made a sad heart-wrenching story.
    About a little girl that has to survive without her mom.
    I definitely recommend this book.

47. Joshua says:

I have read Charlie and the chocolate factory and I like how Roald Dahl describes Charlie’s Grandma and Grandad. Plus I have read Charlie and the chocolate factory and the Great Glass Elevator and think it is a brilliant sequel.

48. Ellie W says:

Midnight :You just have to read this .Why I hear you say,well read on to find out how . good this book really is !To start with this book is for absolutely anyone and if you read it your eyes will be stuck to it and you won`t be able to put it down!This book is about a lonely teenage girl who finds out that her brother is actually adopted and he was adopted because her mom had had a baby but sadly it died so she decided to replace it.I really hope you will take interest and read this book.

49. Abbie says:

The Magic Finger:
    I thought the magic finger was very amusing but at the same time extremely wierd. The funny part in the book was when the ducks walk into the house.So if you like wierd and wacky books then this one is definitly the one for you.

50. Ellie W says:

Double act
    To start ,with this book can be read by anyone who is trying to find something different or just loves Jacqueline Wilson (and I mean who would’t)? This entertaining book is about twins who well look like each other but just don’t act like each other. Find out the funny yet tough things they face and how that it is they are so different! Funny and amazing who wouldn’t want to read this?

Matilda:
    Everyone brace yourselves the most thrilling book is awaiting you! Share giggles with other people as you read this spectacular novel and feel like you are in the story! Roahl Dahl was a legened when it came to book writing and now you
    can experience more! This book is for absolutely anyone who enjoys reading and anyone that is looking for a spectacular read!

51. Ellie W says:

I have read lots of these books , my first one is ‘The Longest Whale Song.
    I think this book is really good and is definatley by far my favourite book out of all of these.This book is an upsetting tale of a young girl who is giving all of her love to her mum after her mum falls into a coma after having a baby.This tale is for anyone, and will definatley pull on the heart strings!

Gangsta Granny:
    I think this book is absolutley amazing and you wont’t be able to stop laughing when you are reading this.This book is for anyone who just loves comedy and silly things.Consiquently you won’t be able to put this book down,this book is about a granny who told her grandson that she as an international jewel thief and they set off to steal the crown jewels!Sadly this book dosen’t end that well but i’ll leave you to find out why…

There are some more book reviews to come !!!!!!

• Mr Holder says:

Fantastic Ellie – you can have a team point for the effort you’ve put into your book reviews. I like how you’ve given a rough overview without spoiling it and giving away the plot. I’m sure your friends will take your opinion into account before choosing their next book. Well done!

• Ellie W says:

Thank you for my teampoint Mr Holder !

• Mitchell says:

Wow I want to read them books after that! ( Wich one did you like the most?)

• Corben says:

Wow, I like how you have spent your time to tell us your review.

52. Joshua says:

I have read gangster granny and I think it is very funny, sad at times and exciting.I defiantly recommend it for other people.

• Mr Holder says:

Thank you Joshua for recommending one of the books from our reading challenge! I’m glad you enjoyed it – it’s proving quite popular.

53. Isobel says:

Ooo I think shadow forest is my favourite and we re reading it as a class in 6H!!

• Mr Holder says:

Let everyone know what you think about it when you’ve finished Isobel!

54. lucy r says:

I think Gangsta Granny is a funny bok. If you like funny books well this one is for you.
    I hope you enjoy reading Gangsta Granny.

55. dylan says:

I’m looking forward to this challenge :D:D:D

56. Faye says:

Wow What a challenge..

57. Isobel says:

Mr holder you have set them a real chalenge

58. Mr Holder says:

Let the challenge commence!